Pages

Monday, July 12, 2010

Delivering Sheep

My last two Saturdays have been spent delivering sheep to Asylum Farms for a friend. The first to go up were a Romney Ram and a Lincoln Ram. I must say that these guys were very well behaved since I use my sheep hauling van to pick up and deliver animals. This Saturday I took up a colored Lincoln ewe and her 4 babies. I also brought home for me a Natural colored Romney ewe lamb and a white Romney ewe to add to my herd. I will post pictures of them when it stops raining and I can get some good ones. I got to watch Shelly's dog Bubba in action with the sheep. What an amazing thing to watch. With just one word or a small motion with her hand she could get him bring the sheep she wanted right to us. I can see why so many large sheep operations use sheep dogs. They are really worth their weight in gold. I thought I'd be home in time to get some work done here but I followed a thunder storm almost all the way home. So nothing outside got done. This morning it was nice so  I knew I had to get my grass cut. When you can't even see the ears on the rabbits that live here, you know it's time to cut. I also had to go in and cut some of my pastures. I lost all the sheep this morning. I knew I had them up in the top pasture but I didn't see them. I knew they didn't get out because if they did they would  be on my patio or in front of the garage door. They don't go anywhere. Talk about panic.I couldn't see them anywhere. So I stood out there and hollered " HEY GIRLS" as loud as I could and what do I see? A bunch of  white ears all of a sudden pop out of the grass.  So that pasture got cut down this morning. It seem that if things get to high for them they won't eat it. We have been getting so much rain and the temps have been in the high 80's for so long that everything grows  so fast. The tomato's really love it. I have 3 red ones on the vine I can pick.  The weather man said I was going to wake up to rain Monday morning again  so that means I can do more spinning. That's it for tonight.

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Before we got Jackson I had my eye on Honey; I think Shelly has some awesome dogs! Can't wait to see your new sheep....

sheeps and me said...

I was just about to yell at you Michelle for being up so late but then realizes you are 2 hours behind us. Shelly really has some beautiful dogs.I think you made a very good choice though with your "Bull-Dozer". You can fall in love with him just by looking at him.

Kathy in KY said...

Hi Linda - good to see you. I'm glad you had good luck with moving the sheep to Asylum Farm. We are getting rain here, too, this morning, which is very welcomed. I hope you can get some spinning done. I will be crocheting alot today on a small afghan I am doing for a friend's Chinese Crested dog. They have almost no body hair and get chilled even in the summertime with the A/C running in the home. I'm about 1/2 way done, and this is my first paying job with my crocheting - hopefully the first of many. Again, good to see you here. Hope you have a good week. Take care, from KY.

Unknown said...

Hi Linda!
I picked up your blog from Kathy's and I loved all of your sheep pictures! I have Cotswolds, Shetlands, and I am getting my first 2 Romneys in a couple of weeks:) I am stopping back to see some more pics!

sheeps and me said...

Hi Kristi-I'm so glad you found my blog. Glad also to hear that you are getting Romney. The fiber is wonderful and no matter what kind of day your having they always greet you with a smile. Now if we can just get Kathy to find her farm and add Romney. You will enjoy them and please post lost of pictures so we can all enjoy them.